Developed by The Darkroom.
Usually shoot Ilford XP2 Super in my film Leica (M6 TTL with Summicron 50mm f2.0 lens), but decided to add a little color in my life. First roll of Fujicolor PRO 400H recently shot during local Art event. Overall very impressed with the film – prints nice and crisp, and colors really pop. Exposure is very forgiving with wide latitude – i tended to shoot about 1/2 stop overexposed. All exposures came out well, and no wasted shots.
Short exposure test with my first roll of Ilford XP-2 Super with C-41 Processing. Was pleasantly surprised with the results, with most shots correctly exposed – up to over-exposed by 1/2 – 1 stop. Those shots not correctly exposed could be easily adjusted in Lightroom. I also purposely over-exposed a few shots by several stops, and this did not seem to have any major negative effect. I would say the film is therefore fairly forgiving :).
For several shots, the day was bright and sunny, so I started with the “Sunny 16” settings of f16, 1/500 sec, and standard ISO 400. This resulted in the light meter mostly spot-on the center LED, so happy about that. There were a few action shots I wanted to get motion blur, but it was too sunny to get a slow enough shutter speed. Would have been a perfect situation to use a Neutral Density filter to gain a few stops.
The film was ordered from Amazon, and then developed at our local Walgreens – with specific instructions that it was B&W Film. I did not get prints, but did get a photo CD (since I do not have a negative scanner). The files on the CD were about 700kb each, so relatively low resolution. As with the photo above, I’m pretty happy with the Image Quality. Cost for the 1 hour developing was about $9.00 – $6 for developing (36 exposures without prints) and $3 for the photo CD. Maybe in future I can find some discount coupons.
By the way – I was also impressed with the nice creamy Bokeh of the 50mm ‘Cron. The blur in front and behind was just the effect I was looking for, with the focus point on the eyes and a fairly open aperture to get a narrow DOF.
Overall very satisfied with the result, and substantially faster turn-around and cheaper than lab developing for Tri-X (until I can start developing at home 🙂 ).
To be continued…