Developed by The Darkroom.
Usually shoot Ilford XP2 Super in my film Leica (M6 TTL with Summicron 50mm f2.0 lens), but decided to add a little color in my life. First roll of Fujicolor PRO 400H recently shot during local Art event. Overall very impressed with the film – prints nice and crisp, and colors really pop. Exposure is very forgiving with wide latitude – i tended to shoot about 1/2 stop overexposed. All exposures came out well, and no wasted shots.
I have posted a few pics from my last roll of Ilford XP-2 on my blog. What I just realized was that all 34 exposures on the roll were in focus and exposure was well within acceptable range. This is interesting considering I pushed and pulled the standard ISO 400 film from 100 to 1600 at various frames, all on the same roll. No development adjustment were made as I had the film Lab developed at my Local Walgreens Drug Store since XP-2 Super uses C-41 Chemistry.
Unfortunately the local drug store had its’ development equipment removed, so film was sent out and development took about 5 working days for return (use to be 1 hour :(). Cost was about $16 for development, prints, and photo CD. No negatives were returned, scans were about 1.8 MB each, and scan resolution was actually pretty good.
Camera was my vintage Leica M6TTL with Lietz/Leica 50mm f2.0 Summicron Lens. Minor post processing was done in Lightroom, mostly for white balance, minor crop adjustments, and print formatting. The attached contact sheet contains all 34 pictures, and you can compare some of the post processed images for comparison.
Overall very pleased with the results and the exposure flexibility of this film.
Next step is home development thanks to many helpful tips compliments of Lilly Schwartz.
Short exposure test with my first roll of Ilford XP-2 Super with C-41 Processing. Was pleasantly surprised with the results, with most shots correctly exposed – up to over-exposed by 1/2 – 1 stop. Those shots not correctly exposed could be easily adjusted in Lightroom. I also purposely over-exposed a few shots by several stops, and this did not seem to have any major negative effect. I would say the film is therefore fairly forgiving :).
For several shots, the day was bright and sunny, so I started with the “Sunny 16” settings of f16, 1/500 sec, and standard ISO 400. This resulted in the light meter mostly spot-on the center LED, so happy about that. There were a few action shots I wanted to get motion blur, but it was too sunny to get a slow enough shutter speed. Would have been a perfect situation to use a Neutral Density filter to gain a few stops.
The film was ordered from Amazon, and then developed at our local Walgreens – with specific instructions that it was B&W Film. I did not get prints, but did get a photo CD (since I do not have a negative scanner). The files on the CD were about 700kb each, so relatively low resolution. As with the photo above, I’m pretty happy with the Image Quality. Cost for the 1 hour developing was about $9.00 – $6 for developing (36 exposures without prints) and $3 for the photo CD. Maybe in future I can find some discount coupons.
By the way – I was also impressed with the nice creamy Bokeh of the 50mm ‘Cron. The blur in front and behind was just the effect I was looking for, with the focus point on the eyes and a fairly open aperture to get a narrow DOF.
Overall very satisfied with the result, and substantially faster turn-around and cheaper than lab developing for Tri-X (until I can start developing at home 🙂 ).
To be continued…